1.26.2012

Day 248

Today was pretty normal.  I got up, ate breakfast, then went to the computer lab.  "Work" consisted of studying for FM.  I'm realizing a struggle for me: reading the problem in its entirety.  I've worked so many problems that my mind automatically triggers a certain way to solve the problem as I read it.  However, I don't always catch all of the tiny little details when this happens.  So I'm trying really hard to make sure I read the question fully and read all of the answers completely.  I think the worst part of all of this is realizing how well I know this material, but simultaneously realizing how such tiny mistakes will trip me up.  I take the exam in two weeks, so hopefully I get that taken care of before the exam.


In life con we talked about the upcoming quiz and test.  Our quiz is tomorrow and is over the homework I've been working on this week.  Our test is next Friday and will be over this homework and the homework he'll give us (hopefully) on Monday.  We finished up our talk on the common shock model.  I think.  He might talk about it more before the quiz.  I don't really know.


After class I got a quick lunch then went back to the computer lab.  There was a class meeting in there, so I sat in the math office until it was over.  Then I went into the lab and worked FM problems until 2 when my shift was over.  After work I went to go work out.  Dustin bailed on my today, but in his defense he's getting over his injury.


When I got back I showered and prepared for my phone interview.  PJ still never emailed me Frank's info, so I called the corporate 800 number to try to talk with someone.  No such luck.  I tried again...then I tried to call PJ... but I did not get a response in either occasion.  Finally I stumbled across a place where I could instant message with an employee.  So I explained the situation and he gave me Frank's number.  I called right after I got the number and it was 3:44 (the interview was scheduled for 3:45).  So that was a little close.  Overall I thought the interview was very... average.  He was difficult to read.  I suppose I'll just wait until next week when I hear or do not hear results.  The official last day of the internship would be on August 3rd, so I told him that I was getting married on that day.  He made a note and said that normally they don't alter dates, but if I am selected they can probably make an exception.  Which would be nice.  Also, I have an interview with CNO for actuarial internship this summer.  I really hope I can rock that... It's on the north side of Indianapolis in Carmel.  Anyhow, hopefully they like me!  I also have 2 more pending applications with Farm Bureau Insurance.  I applied for about 5 positions, so they are just going through candidates and seeing who they want to fill each position.  I've gotten three rejections so far... but here's hoping one of the other two is good!


I recently had a thought about this whole job and internship thing.  At the moment, I do not have an internship.  This could be in part because I have no exams and did not have a 4.0 undergraduate GPA.  But it's also due to the poor economy.  Regardless, there is a chance of a similar situation after I graduate.  So I'm starting to look into alternative options.  For instance, Nationwide has many open positions for people in their Managing Information Systems departments (many = about 6).  And as a requirement, you must either have a MIS, Computer Science, or Math degree.  I have a math degree! So my thought process is that I can apply for MIS jobs at insurance companies while I continue to take exams.  Companies are more likely to look internally for people to fill spots, so I figure that would work in my favor.  Anyhow, that's just a thought.  I actually satisfy the requirements for the MIS jobs at Nationwide.  I have a math degree, I have 3+ years of experience in a service related job, I'm good with Excel and Powerpoint, and so on.  So we'll see where all this takes me.


During/after dinner I worked through the life con problems again, just reviewing formulae and problems for the quiz tomorrow. Then I studied some more FM.  And now... I'm tired.  So I'm going to go to bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment