1.07.2012

Day 229

Another travel day today.  I left Mount Vernon a little later than I had anticipated, but it wasn't too bad.  I think around 9:30 or so.  I stopped to get gas and something to eat, so it was probably closer to 9:45 before I was actually leaving.  I arrived in Findlay, got my book, and was on the road again.  One of my text books arrived about two hours after I left for Mount Vernon on Wednesday, so I had to stop and get it.  It only added maybe half an hour onto my trip, so it wasn't too bad.


As I was driving to Muncie I had a realization.  I didn't get my oil changed all semester.  So I looked to see when I was supposed to do that and sure enough it was about 1500 miles ago.  Which could explain my horrible gas mileage.  So perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.  Or Monday after class.  Something.


I got to Muncie around 2.  Then I unpacked, had some lunch, and put stuff away.  I've come to realize that there is a very specific part of moving that irritates me so very much: doors.  I get so upset when my arms are full and I have to open a door.  See, not much makes me upset.  The way my mind works, everything plays out in my brain before the event occurs.  So when I drive, the entire route plays out (roughly) in my head before and during the trip.  I account for error and uncertainty to a degree that I can handle with relative ease.  And for the most part, every part of every day falls within this range of activities with which I can handle.  If I've planned everything out right in my head and I do everything properly, there will be minimal error and I will have a wonderful day.  But when small things for which I cannot or don't account happen... I get very upset.  Small things that you can't avoid, like tripping or dropping something when I hadn't anticipated it or can't catch myself (often times I have calculated in a degree of clumsiness).  For example, if I were going about my business and I was paying attention to my surroundings, I would have some degree of error pre-calculated and if I tripped I wouldn't be upset because it worked into a pre-considered possible outcome of my walking experience.  But if I'm not paying attention to my surroundings and I trip, I get very upset because I hadn't anticipated it happening.  Similarly: doors.  When I move things I like to carry as much as I can so that I don't waste trips.  But if I carry two arms full worth of things, I won't have a free hand to open and close the doors.  So either I waste arms space or I have to struggle to open/close the doors.  I do not like either outcome.  So I get very irritable when I have to open doors and my arms are full.  This is something that I've been trying to understand for quite some time, the reason for which these tiny things bother me so much.  I always account for a significant amount of error, but when that estimate isn't enough and some additional annoyance occurs.... bleh.  It really gets to me.


Anyhow.  Moving in was fantastic.  Clearly.  After everything was all put away, I just played video games for a while.  I'd had a long day.


A group of us were going out to dinner to bring in the new semester.  Since Erica and I live so close together we drove together.  So I went over to her apartment a little before we were supposed to meet everyone.  She brought her dog Howie back from home and he was very excited to not be in a car anymore.  He was all sorts of running everywhere.  So we went to dinner and met up with Tim, his wife Erin, a new actuarial science student named Paul, and Katheryn.  We went to a Mexican restaurant called Ciudad Colonial.  It was decent.  Puerto Vallarta is better, in my humble opinion.


After dinner I came back, relaxed, and now I'm going to go to bed!  I have to go grocery shopping in the morning, then study tomorrow afternoon!  Woohoo!  So...good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment