1.08.2012

Day 230

Last day of freedom.  Tomorrow starts school.  I really wish I could just be here with my friends and not take classes.  I'd even work!  Just no more studying or classes or anything like that.


I did my grocery shopping this morning.  I spent a bit more than I had anticipated, but I didn't think about the fact that there were a lot of things that I needed that I had used up at the beginning of break.  I have a pretty regular schedule of things that I buy weekly or bi-weekly, but it got thrown off by this whole break business.  Usually one week I end up spending more than the next, so it comes out on average to what I allot per paycheck.  So that's fine.


After grocery shopping I went to church with Jessie and Richard.  The pastor talked about putting God first.  It was really good.  Sometimes during a church service I like to think how someone who does not believe in God would take the message.  Sometimes I think that the person would dislike the message, but other times I think that (assuming the person was open minded) he or she would genuinely appreciate the message.  Today fell into the category of the latter.  He talked about how we spend so much time worrying about things that it gets in the way of us actually fixing the problem.  Even if someone doesn't believe in God and the concept of giving your problems to God, I think that everyone needs a reminder that worrying solves nothing.  Stop worrying and stressing out about things, especially when you can't fix those things.


I went to Jessie and Richard's for lunch.  They made french toast and bacon for lunch.  It was tasty.  We talked about classes and jobs and fun stuff like that.  I was telling them about my grades in the fall and how I did ok, but I thought I should have had higher grades.  It comes down to two things: 1-I got the short end of whatever grading scale was used and 2- I fall around the middle of the class, and I'm with a lot of people who are just smarter than I am.  And there's no way around either one of those, so I'm working on just accepting it and doing my best.  Like our pastor was saying in the service: worrying about it isn't doing anything for me, so let's move on!


Side note- Jeremy posted our picture website: click here!

This afternoon I was not terribly productive.  I did some dishes, cleaned my room some, then played video games.  I really just needed to relax on my last day before school started.  So relax I did.  I did have to run to Wal-mart to get a binder and paper.  It was pretty crazy.  Lots of students getting their supplies before classes start.  I ran into (figuratively) one of my students from the fall and (presumably) her mother.  We didn't stop to say hi, just waved and kept on going.


Let's see.  I got home, did some studying, ate dinner, hung out with Kathryn for a little bit.  We had a good discussion about what motivates people.  It started when we were talking about why boys do stupid things to get attention and why girls are attracted to boys who don't treat them well.  So I explained that at the core of every man is the need to be respected and that acceptance is intimately tied to respect.  Since men often do not get a satisfactory feeling of acceptance from their surroundings, it is standard to do stupid things to get attention.  It's not as satisfying as, say, the knowledge that you are truly important to someone.  But, as I explained, sometimes you don't have that knowledge and you take what you can get.  Getting attention helps many men feel important, even if it's only for a few brief seconds.  As far as her other questions, I explained that at the core of every woman is the need to feel loved.  In many verbally abusive relationships, the man makes the woman feel as though she can't be loved by anyone, save himself.  So even though he hurts her, the man will make the woman feel so inadequate that she wants some amount of affection, so she stays with the man.  It concluded with us talking about how complicated people are.  Personally... things are only complicated because people don't open up.  The world would be a different place if we didn't keep secrets...


Anyhow.  I'm tired and have to get up early for class in the morning.  So I'm going to bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment