1.18.2012

Day 240

I should be in bed.  But I am not yet.  So I shall update.


I woke up around 6 this morning, hit snooze (or so I thought)... then it was 6:17.  This confused me, since my snooze is set for 5 minutes, not 17.  Oh well.  I decided that since I was going to work out right after class, I could skip the shower and just take one after class.  Apparently that is fairly common?  I always feel gross when I do that, but I guess it's very common (and yes, I have asked a significant number of people) to skip the shower when you have an 8am class and just take one later.  Ugh.  I hate doing that.


Anyhow.  I made it.  I still need to make biscuits.  Shoot.  This past Sunday I found this 4-pack of pre-made biscuits (kind of like the croissant tubes) at Aldi. Each tube has 10 biscuits and I got the 4-pack for $2!  I was pretty excited, but I keep forgetting to make them.  Hopefully I remember to do so tomorrow.  So yeah.  Class went well.  Today we talked about why higher risk options have a higher expected yield (interest rate) and how government bonds, by design, cannot default.  This allows people to make investments that have 0 risk.  However, to ensure this the government has needed to put more money into the system, which raises inflation.  This class seems to be very economics heavy.  I suppose it's good that Dr. Foley is teaching it, since he has is PhD in Economics.  Oh, and we also talked about using a "utility function," which is a mythical way of determining how happy a person is with something.  I've learned that economics is the study of predicting things in ways that you know won't happen.


In between classes Tim, Jacob and I went to the Atrium.  I'm not sure why Kathryn and Timbo don't join us.  But we still have a good time.  I really wish I could remember our conversations better.  It just seems like 9am was so long ago.  In part we talked about the FM exam and why we had planned it for the day/time that we had.  I picked Friday so that I had all weekend to recover if need be.


Side note: I was decently impressed with the SOPA/PIPA blackout today.  Many websites (around 170) posted messages on their front page to educate people on the new acts that are going through the Senate.  Some sites like Wikipedia even closed off access for the day.  Any attempt to access the English version of the site was met with a message explaining why SOPA/PIPA are bad laws and how we can stop them.  Most of the sites involved even included links for you to email or call your local congressman.  So we'll see if anything becomes of this.


After Atrium Time, we had Probability.  For the first half of class we went over questions we had and then worked through some problems on the next chapter. Then we had our quiz.  I've been spending so much time studying for FM that I didn't study as much as I should have for this quiz.  But I think I did pretty well.  It was 10 questions and there is only 1 that I may or may not have gotten.  Some of the wording gets very tricky.  It can be very difficult to determine whether a question is asking for the probability of the intersection of two events (such as the probability that I draw a card and it is red AND and even number) or a conditional probability (such as the probability that I draw a card and it is red, given that it is an even number).  Those are two complete separate questions and involve different ways of solving.  So...we'll see!


After class I had lunch in my office, then went off to the weight room.  I did legs today.  I've noticed that my legs are the first muscles that start to feel weak when I don't work out for a while.  So I wanted to get them back in shape first.


Kimmy and I (but mostly Kimmy) have started looking at apartments more seriously.  She's been picking some out that meet the specifications I gave, and I'm going to try to narrow it down to a few that we can visit while she is here over Jterm break.  There are actually a decent number of cheap places.  Some of them seem way too cheap... I know that they don't all include utilities, but still.  Some of them seem really cheap.  So we'll see!


When I got back I showered and started on grading.  I need to see if Dr. Nelson has a solutions manual.  One of the classes for which I am grading I have not taken in 4 years.  And I want to make sure that I'm not marking things incorrectly....


So I graded for a while.  Had dinner.  Played team fortress with Miles.  Then graded some more!  Now I'm going to go to bed.  So...good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment