11.30.2011

Day 191

And another day has been completed.  I got up this morning around 7:30, got ready for the day, and went off to my office.  Yesterday one of the guys in my class wanted to meet with me at 9 to go over the practice exam, so I did that.  I guess I hadn't considered that it would snow last night, so when I got out my car had a couple inches of snow on it.  After I got it cleared off I went to my office and helped the guy from my class with the rest of the practice exam.  After he left I started working on finance.  Then I just studied that until my office hours were over at noon.


A little after 12 I left to go get lunch.  Joel Thomas was driving through Muncie today on his way to go visit some other people and go to a concert, so he stopped by for some lunch.  We went to Qdoba.  It was really tasty.  We both officially decided that if Muse, Deadmau5, and Daft Punk ever put on a show that no amount of money would prevent us from going.  It would be an absolutely mind and soul blowing experience.  But it will literally never happen. Sad.  I also gave Joel my revised explanation of what actuaries do.  "Accountants take a look at money that has already been acquired and/or spent and figure out how to account for it.  Actuaries try to predict what money will be acquired and how to prepare for it."  I know that isn't 100% accurate, but it's much better than "I do math for insurance companies."


After Joel left for his next adventure, I went back to school to study some more finance.  I ran into Timbo and thus decided to study with him in the computer lab.  David was there also.  I worked through the rest of the problems and felt pretty good about them.  We have a quiz tomorrow but I feel decently well prepared.  Between this quiz and the duration homework assignment I think that I should be well prepared for the exam on Monday.  We had about 30 minutes to kill before stats started, so Timbo and I went down to the Atrium to get some coffee.  For which I was grateful because I know it would have been nearly impossible to stay awake in statistics otherwise.


We got many things back in class today.  Exam 2 (finally), our pop-quiz, and our project.  I messed a couple things up on the project but she only took one point off.  So that was ok.  Then we proceeded to go through class.  It literally felt like a repeat of Real Analysis from this past spring.  And I don't mean that in the "so I already knew what to do" kind of way.  It was closer to a "I must have done something terrible in my past to receive this punishment..."  Real Analysis was not nice to me when I took it.  And today just reminded me of every day of that class.  About half way through class she started to do an epsilon-delta proof.... and I almost left.  I have done (and by that I mean tried to do) way too many epsilon-delta proofs and still have no idea what I'm doing.  That class was the one thing that made me incredibly set on not going into Pure Mathematics.


After class I went to Jessie's apartment for dinner.  She made spaghetti and garlic bread.  It was really good.  I had a good time.  We talked about our Thanksgivings and about school (and relating it to her experience), about her current job and such.  That was a lot of fun.  But then I had to come home so that I could get some more studying done.  So home I came.  I answered a few emails from students who had questions on the exam tomorrow, then studied for the finance quiz some more.  And now I'm going to bed!  Good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment