11.15.2011

Day 178

I'm sure this comes as no surprise, but today was a very busy day.  It started with Finance, where we talked more about different derivatives and options.  In between classes I went up to the computer lab to finish planning my lesson.  Then I went on to life contingencies, where we talked more about the expected value of a group of policies.  It was pretty slick, I suppose.


I taught my class a little bit about interest today.  I never know whether they're bored because they get it or because they don't.  It's pretty frustrating.  But I just kept on going, hoping that they catch on.


After that I went to my office, ate lunch, and reviewed what I was going to talk about during my interview today.  I tried to think of things that I had been doing wrong in the other interviews, and I think I picked out a few things that I really tried not to do during this interview.  Things like... saying that I don't know whether I want to be a life actuary or property/casualty actuary, or that I don't know if I want to take all the exams, or things like that.  So I made sure that I was very certain about my career goals in this interview.  Anyhow, after I did some research I went back to my car to drop off my lunch bag and backpack.  Then I just took a nice little stroll for some fresh air.  I also stopped by the Atrium to get some coffee.  Then I continued my nice little stroll to the Career Center.  I got there way early, so in my spare time I started looking for apartments and duplexes in the Muncie area for next year.  I didn't find anything, but I'm getting a better idea for what is around here.


I think that the interview went well.  I met with a guy named Clark from the Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance.  He started off by telling me about the internship program and that there were many different positions (and I had applied to all of them).  He told me that they weren't all directly actuarial, but that they were all a good experience.  So he started to ask questions and he really seemed to like some of my answers, especially when I told him how I organize my day.  He liked that I specifically "start each day" the night before by planning out what I do.  But anyhow, that went really well.  He said that if he didn't contact me by the first week of December to contact him.


After the interview I came back, changed, got some food, relaxed, then left for the Actuarial Club Meeting.  We all met at 4:45, got into 2 vans, and headed down to Indianapolis.  Timbo, Jacob, and I were in the van with Mr. Dean.  We talked most of the way down.  I just asked him lots and lots of questions about... everything.  From his career to his personal life to just being an actuary in general.  It was a good time.  When we got to Indianapolis we missed our turn because the venue wasn't well labeled.  But we made it.


After some awkward mingling we all sat down at various tables.  There were a couple hundred people, I would say.  I had intended on spreading out to meet some new people, but it seems that most of the Ball State group wanted to follow me.  So... we had a table of 1 Purdue student and 7 Ball State students. The Purdue student and one of the Ball State students just talked the entire time, each trying to one-up the other.  The rest of us just sat in silence, for there was never a time when one of them wasn't speaking.  It was as if what they had to say was so important that clearly we wanted to hear it.  They didn't really ask questions and never tried to involved everyone else.  So... it was lots of fun, for certain.  The meal was pretty good and the coffee was wonderful.  When we were done eating a few actuaries from the area sat at the front table and answered questions.  Most of them were the standard "what do you do on a daily basis?" or "How many exams should we pass before looking for a job?" that we hear a lot.  They had good answers, but they weren't so different from other things that I've heard.  Overall it was good.  A bit long, but good.


On the way back there was far less conversation.  I think we were all just tired.  We got back before the other van, but I had to wait around because I had given Kathryn a ride and figured that I probably shouldn't leave her stranded.  It's a good thing she didn't try to get a ride with Tim because Erin (Tim's wife) was still at small group.  So I also gave Tim a ride home.  Then Kathryn.  Then I came home, made a snack, played a game, and now I just finished writing this nonsense up so I can go to bed!  Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment