11.10.2011

Day 173

La la la.  It is night time, yes it is.


Today was another full day.  We had finance this morning.  As usual.  We talked more about duration.  We started talking about it last week before our exam, but I was so focused on studying for the exam (and my other exams) that I kind of missed what duration is.  Or why we care.  I'm starting to get a vague idea.  Hopefully we get our exams back tomorrow... I'm hoping that I did well.  At least an 80 would be preferable.  It's been frustrating knowing that there were a couple that I missed...and I've known this for the past few days.  But I'm really banking on some partial credit.  Gaaahhhh!


During life contingencies we did some more stuff with future loss random variables.  We spent a long time looking at the use of the exponential function as a survival model.   It apparently has this very interesting feature that it will always have a constant force of mortality, which will be a very handy thing to remember on the actuarial exams.  That way we won't have to re-derive the force of mortality every time.


After life con I went to go teach.  I had this really great idea to keep a dull subject a little more interesting by using the same example throughout the topics.  But it ended up just making it slightly less boring and abstract.  I really hate teaching statistics.  It's so dry.  I feel like this class could be really good if it focused less on computation and more on understanding.  Blargh.  Maybe I can try to teach it differently next semester.  We'll see.  And as a bonus, apparently almost none of my students know how to do conditional probability...meaning that they don't know how their books and/or emails work. So you know.   Yay.


After class I worked on stats with Timbo.  Pretty much from the time class was over until 3:30.  So I guess that would be about 3 hours.  It took a while to make sure all of my math was correct.  It's all pretty frustrating because I did all the work myself, but none of it is original.  All of these derivations have been done numerous times... so I don't even feel like there is a need for me to be doing it.  Which in reality there isn't.  Except for the grade.  So...do it I shall!  But I believe that I am all finished with it.  So that's good.


When I got back I tried to play Borderlands with Nick.  But I haven't been able to connect to the server.... which is dumb.  I had soup for dinner.  I honestly don't like Campbell's chunky soup as much as I like the Aldi's Soup.  So yeah.  That was dinner.  Then I started making meatloaf for dinner tomorrow.  I'm taking food with me to Mount Vernon so I don't have to buy food when I get there.  I thought that would be a good idea.  And cheaper.


After dinner I finished up my stats project.  Just re-writing all the things.  Then I just kind of relaxed.  Played some Team fortress.  Tried to let my brain rest after a long day of stats.  I cleaned my bathroom.  Did some dishes.  And now I'm going to pack for the weekend and go to bed!  Night!


*EDIT*
I would like to mention that the other day I bought this hand soap with lotion in it and it was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.  Cherry blossom, I believe.  I highly recommend it.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment