11.21.2011

Day 184

Well today has been far superior to the past couple days.  Which is good.  I woke up a bit late and ended up getting to class with only a couple minutes to spare.  We talked more about combining puts and calls and stocks in such ways as to minimize potential loss.  I really need to finish reading the chapters over break.  I have most of them read, but I'm going to finish them and hopefully work a few problems.


In between class I went to go see Mr. Frye about the finance assignment.  Apparently David, Kathryn, and Senzeni decided to come as well.  So we asked him some questions and he gave us... answers.  One of the problems involves an infinite series that is both geometrically and arithmetically increasing.  He suggested writing it as a nested series and trying to find a way to write both of them.  I think that instead Mathematica will just play me the happy tune of "Find Joel the Answer."  I like that song.


During life con we discussed one of the problems he handed out to consider last class.  We spent the entire class going over it one way, then he showed us a much faster way of doing it.  It was a pretty general concept, but the implementation just got weird.


After class Tim, Timbo, and I went to the on campus Taco Bell for lunch.  It was tasty.  We talked about Tim's long adventure into becoming an actuary, his preparation for exam FM, and things we wish we'd all done differently.  Like hearing about actuaries back in high school.  Oh well.  Life is what it is.  After lunch Timbo and I went to the computer lab to work on the life con homework.  It's a lot of work in Excel, which I don't mind because I typically enjoy using Excel.  After a while Kathryn joined us.  I got mostly done, but I want to re-do one of the problems that I did.  He's going to give us a partially take home exam after break and he said that he's having us do this so that we have the spreadsheet set up for us on the exam.  So I want to make sure that I have most of everything done beforehand so that the exam will be easier.  I reworked one of the problems and had to refresh myself on the VLOOKUP command, but I got that figured out.  It's a handy little thing.


Stats.  I legitimately have no idea what happened in class today.  I took so many notes and I don't have a clue what any of it means.  I asked more questions than normal and...yeah.  This is going to be fun.  On top of that, we have our last exam in that class on the Monday of finals week (because Ball State is awesome like Mount Vernon and has class that day).


After stats I went to go work out.  That was just a joy and a half.  But it's over.  Then I come home, got dinner, and planned my lesson for tomorrow.  For the most part, anyways.  I'll finish it up tomorrow in between classes.  Dr. Fischer is coming to evaluate me, so hopefully my lecture is good enough!  So I'm off to bed now.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment