11.14.2011

Day 177

Monday always seems so long.  But I made it through another one.


Last night I went to bed around 9:30 or so.  I was going to get up at 6 to read over some things before class.  But that didn't happen.  My alarm went off at 6... and I reset it for 6:30.  I was still tired even after that much sleep.  Oh well!  I had to get up.


We talked more about derivatives in finance today.  It's an interesting concept. Instead of putting value on something concrete (like a house) the value is put on an agreement that derives its value from something concrete.  Almost like the values in on the idea of the exchange, but not on the actual assets being exchanged.  Anyhow, after finance Tim and I went to the Atrium.  We talked about finance and life con, a little bit about cooking, I told him about the wedding.  People seem very hesitant about some of the ideas we've presented, but no one wants to say "I think that idea sounds terrible."  Personally I like all our ideas, which is why I think that most people won't say anything.  Oh well.  I guess we'll see how it turns out.


During life con we discussed a little bit about... I'm not entirely sure what.  Some about numerical integration and the characteristic function and how Mr. Dean used that as an actuary.  He claims that all math can be used as an actuary.  I would like to see how group theory and number theory can be.  I should ask him tomorrow.


After class I went to the store to get food to make dinner tonight.  I hosted a small party with my math friends because it is Kathryn's birthday.  So I decided to make some ham with a honey glaze.  I wasn't sure entirely what to do, so as usual I looked for a recipe online and got a few of the ingredients, making do with whatever else I had.  I ended up making a glaze (not really...it was too watery to be a glaze) with honey, pineapple juice, and sugar.  Then I sliced the ham, put all of that (and the pineapple) in a cake pan and put it in the oven on 200 for around 4 or so hours.  It turned out really well.  I've also realized that I really like doing stuff for people's birthday.  Which will work out well because Kimmy really like celebrating her birthday.


I also talked with my apartment manager today about subleasing.  He wished me luck and said that once I find someone they can come in to sign papers so I am no longer legally obligated to pay rent.  So I put an ad on craigslist... we'll see if this goes anywhere.


Anyhow, I'm jumping ahead.  I met with one of my students at 3 to go over some questions he had on the homework for tomorrow.  Then I filled out a thing for my interview tomorrow.  I really haven't research the company that much.  But quite frankly, I haven't found research to be super beneficial.  I'll still look them up a little bit, but usually they just go through my resume and the questionnaire they have.  By the time they're finished there's time for a couple questions.  In the past I've asked them about their experiences at the company, but I don't need a lot of research for that.  I want to also ask if there is any other information they would like to see that I haven't already stated.  I need to word it better, but that sort of idea.  It can't hurt.


Then we had stats.  Yup.  She had a extra credit quiz in the middle of it... I think because she didn't think we were paying attention.  I got about halfway through, but my mind just blanked on how to finish the transformation.  So I might get a point or two.  Better than nothing.


After class we went back to my apartment and ate dinner.  After everyone arrived...which apparently took a while.  Oh well.  The ham turned out really well.   I was pleased.  The top pieces were a little dry because they hadn't been sitting in the liquid, but for the most part it was good.  Everyone said they liked it.  Compared to their standard frozen meals, I bet it tasted pretty good.  After dinner we had dessert (provided by Erica and Jordan).  I don't know how it started, but everyone had a nice bit of 90s nostalgia.  I always feel really left out whenever people do that because they start talking about all of these TV shows that they watched growing up.  And no one can fathom that I haven't watched them.  And then people get all defensive when I tell them that I tried watching it recently, but I think it's garbage.  The concept of something nostalgic not being good now seems to be foreign to most people.


Most people left reasonably soon after dessert.  Kathryn stayed around and talked with Clifton and me for a while.  More accurately, Kathryn listened while Clifton and I had one of our famous conversations.  Clifton and I like to just dissect life.  Kathryn is more of an observer.  And that's ok.  He and I had a lovely conversation how we were raised and stuff like that.  It was good.  Then I took Kathryn back to her apartment (because I gave Dustin and her a ride to my apartment, but Dustin went home with Timbo).  When I came back... I considered finishing my lesson plan and researching Indiana Farm Bureau... but I think I'm just going to go to bed.  Maybe get up a little early? Or perhaps just use the time in between classes.  We'll see.  We certainly shall see.  But for now I rest.  Fare thee well.

No comments:

Post a Comment