11.17.2011

Day 180

There's a funny thing about the number 180... Actually that's the thing.  There really isn't much that's interesting about the number 180.  However, Dr. Arthur Benjamin would disagree.  He claims that every number is interesting. And here is his proof (summarized): let's start with the number 0.  0 is interesting because it's the additive identity (any number plus 0 is that number).  1 is the multiplicative identity (any number times 1 is that number).  2 is the only even prime.  3 is the only prime exactly one greater than another prime.  4 is the first square number.  Now let's assume you go on in this pattern until you somehow you encounter a number that wasn't significant.  But if this was the first such number of it's kind, wouldn't that make it interesting?


It's a bit of math humor.  My brain is pretty fried right now, so sorry if I lost you on that.  It's one of my favorite jokes, aside from the classic Sean Connery joke, which I may have mentioned before.  Alright, if you insist I shall tell it again.  "What time did Sean Connery play in Wimbledon?" *assume British accent* "Tennish."  It's a classic.


Anyhow, my day.  We talked more about various options, specifically "puts."  These are when a person has an option to buy a stock at a price higher than the current market price.  It seems that these are pretty important or something.


In between classes I went to go plan my lesson.  I ended up decided to teach them how to make an amortization schedule.  They were less than amused.  But it's far more applicable than whatever that other garbage was that's in section 2.


During life con we did some more work on policy values.  Then we finished up with a review problem from the MLC exam.  I almost got it right except that it took me a couple seconds to figure out how to find the survival function when given the force of mortality.  But I'm sure I could have gotten it if I had been actively reviewing over this.


Then I taught.  And we talked about amortization schedules.  They certainly were not amused, until I told them that the homework was worth extra and a possibility for extra credit.  They were far more interested then.


I went to my office, ate lunch, and read finance.  I was really tired so it was pretty difficult to follow.  But I did my best.  On the way home I stopped at Wal-mart because apparently I have a terrible time keeping track of my fingernail clippers.  I've misplaced 2 pair since moving here.  And I really needed some.  I also got an energy drink.  That kept me awake for a little bit.


I read finance when I got back.  And I did some cleaning.  But then I started getting worn out.  Whenever that happens over a long period of time I just get... done.  I don't feel like doing anything.  I was at least able to do some grading and cleaning.  But I just had a hard time being productive.  I just need to get more sleep.  So that's what I'm going to do now.  Good night, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment