12.01.2012

Day 557

Hi!

Yesterday was pretty intense.  I spent most of the morning studying for my test.  I was feeling pretty confident by the time I went to campus for class.  I got there a little early to prepare for my quiz.  I had a quiz in my first class and a test in the second.  I finished the quiz pretty quickly, so I just studied for the test for the remained of my time until the next class.

I thought my test went reasonably well.  It had 5 questions (each with multiple parts) and I finished it in about half an hour.  That's pretty normal... somehow I've been gifted with the ability to work very quickly with reasonably good accuracy.  That's very useful on the actuarial exams.

When I got home Kimmy and I started making pizza dough.  Actually, Kimmy made the dough while I cleaned up the kitchen.  We used our Kitchenaid to mix the pizza dough and it worked really well!  Except for the part where everything got stuck to the mixer (we forgot to use the bread hook), but it still mixed really well.  When the dough was just about ready to finish raising Jessie called me to see if we wanted to meet with them for dinner.  So we went and just the the dough raise for even longer.

We met with Jessie and Richard at Ruby Tuesday.  It was good.  I'm not really sure what it was, but I thought the waitress seemed strange.  Oh well.  So I got them updated on all of my exciting school adventures (of which there are so many.......).  I also shared my two newest pieces of knowledge from the world of science: "scientists claim that they're close to reversing the aging process" and "the Large Hadron Collider disproves super symmetry."  The significance of the second article (from what I understand) is that before this discovery, the idea of supersymmetry was necessary for unifying the theories of general relativity (explains how big things in the universe work, like planets and galaxies) with quantum mechanics (explains how little things in the universe work, like sub-atomic particles).  Supersymmetry relied on the existence of a particular theoretical particle.... and the Large Hadron Collider has effectively disproved the existence of this particle.  So a large number of physicists just watched 30+ years of research and education vanish.  30 years of their working life just significantly decreased in importance, which just seems so incredibly sad to me.

Anyhow, that's the end of my exciting news for the world.  To celebrate my test being over yesterday I'm going to spend of today grading.  Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment