12.03.2012

Day 559

Blog post incoming!

When I woke up this morning, oatmeal just did not sound that appetizing.  And we were out of eggs.  So I did the next most logical thing: I had cheesecake.  It was so great.  I have no regrets.

Today during church Pastor Mark began a study/dissection of the character Ebenezer Scrooge and his feelings on life.  I really appreciated what all he had to say, partially because it's something I've been putting a lot of thought into recently.  In the story, Ebenezer is bent on acquiring wealth for the sake of being rich.  Pastor Mark related that to how so many people work so hard to acquire stuff... and ultimately it makes no difference.  People work jobs they hate to buy stuff they don't need.  That idea has been a very prevalent one in my head for the past few years and I've really tried to keep that in mind on a daily basis: am I letting my possessions control my thoughts?  Yes, in some meta way... I think about how I don't want to become obsessed with possessions, therefore the idea of being anit-material drives me.  But really I strive to not have excess and not be wasteful.  Which is atypical: the middle-class is stereotypically known for letting their possessions define them ("keeping up with the Jones'").  However, I've tried really hard not to do that. I try to match an object to a specific need... first in my head, then in reality.  It seems to work out pretty well.  It also helps to accept that things need to be thrown away.  This helps me resist growing attached to things or to money.  I do not want to become emotionally attached to stuff.  Possessions exist for the me to use them as tools to achieve whatever ends I desire.

Anyhow.  We came home, had lunch, then committed to a very successful Sabbath: Kimmy napped and I didn't do any work.  I have a decent amount of work to do this week, but it's really not too bad.  So I wanted to make sure I had a good, restful weekend before finals week starts.

Later in the afternoon we finally went grocery shopping.  It was productive.  Yep!

We went to Jessie and Richard's apartment for dinner.  Jessie made chicken/tortilla soup and it was really good.  We got to see the floorplan of their new house!  It looks really nice.

When we got back from dinner I felt super productive.  So I got did a lot of cleaning that I've been meaning to do for a while.  We also started some laundry.

And now it's time for bed.  This is my last week of classes, then finals week!  Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment