12.15.2011

Day 206

Let's see, where to I begin today.


I got up, got ready for the day, and went over to school to give a final to a student who missed it on Tuesday.  While he was working on it, I finished up some of the assessment things I had to do for the class I taught.  When he was done taking the test, I went to go turn some stuff in to the lady in charge of the assessment.  We talked for a little bit and I asked her for her opinion on doing more projects instead of just tests.  I explained that my students had done well when given the time to research and learn material but many of them didn't test well.  So she showed me what she had done.  Basically she included for every chapter 100 points for exams and/or projects.  I liked that.


After that I met with Dr. Fischer to go over my review.  Basically there is one less teaching position than available teaching GAs for the spring and I got downsized.  He explained his review of why he did not score me well in some of the categories.  I'm going back tomorrow to talk with him about it because he had to give an exam and couldn't talk very long.  I have my own theories about all of this but will refrain from discussing them here.  Anyhow, I was pretty upset after that.  I will also refrain from making further remarks on the subject. Hopefully this doesn't alter my stipend.  It might not simply because I signed onto a specific contract with a specific stipend.  But we'll see.


When I got back I had leftovers for lunch.  Then Timbo came over and we studied stats for a few hours.  I've come to realize that I have no idea what to expect on the exam tomorrow.  And that kind of scares me.  I have around an 83 or so in the class right now.  So I need to get at least that on the final to maintain a B.  And seeing how horribly the last exam went (worse than I had imagined it would go)... this will be fun.  I have no idea how we're going to complete this monster in 2 hours.  So today I went through the past exams and quizzes, reworking all of the problems.  And everything up until the second exam is fine.  No problems at all.  But the second and third exams... I just really have no idea what's going on.  And it doesn't seem like she'll curve it.  I really hope she does though.  I don't really need a curve in the other two classes, but I really need one in this.  And that's really frustrating to me because the other two classes are getting curved, but this one probably won't.  I'm going to ask her about it tomorrow before the exam.  I've also learned that she really just does not give much partial credit.  So awesome.


Yeah, today hasn't been the best.  Learned that I won't be teaching, learned that the final tomorrow is going to be impossible (even though she claims it will be the easiest of all the exams, I can guarantee it won't be.  She said our third exam was the easiest and I got the worst grade on it).  I get rewarded for my hard work by getting an unneeded curve in two classes and probably nothing in the one class I need curved.  And I just don't care about this class anymore.


Bleh.  I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment