12.03.2011

Day 193

Long day.  Very long day.


I had finance this morning.  Tim stole my greeting!  Every morning say "Good morning, Mr. Frye.  How are you doing today?"  And he usually says something like "Well.... ok."  But Tim greeted him before I could!  But I still said good morning.  I was quite surprised that we got our quiz back since we just took it yesterday.  But we did.  I did much better than I had suspected.  I feel much better about the exam on Monday now.


During life contingencies Tim stole my greeting again.  I was quite confused.  But I was able to manage and continue on with class.  We were able to ask questions before he handed out the exam.  I asked him a question on something called the Asset Share, which is basically a way of figuring out the actual value of your current assets (instead of your expected value of the assets).  It's a good thing I asked him because he gave a very helpful explanation... and a question about it was on the exam.  So I was happy to actually know what to do.  So then he gave us the take-home exam, we looked it over for mistakes or clarifications, and then we left.  Something that I really like about his class is that he doesn't mind when we correct him.  Even the things that really don't matter, like a minor notation that literally doesn't change anything.  But he wants us to constantly check his work.  He doesn't make mistakes on purpose (at least I'm fairly certain that he doesn't... it's usually pretty obvious when people make purposeful mistakes) but he wants us to really make sure that we check what he does.  Part of this is to make sure that we understand the material.  The other is because he wants us to practice being very precise and paying attention to tiny details.  I also like that he gives us short stories from his time as an actuary.  Today he told us a story with the moral of "When things seem to be going way too good, it's your job to figure out what bad thing is about to happen."


After class I went to get a hair cut.  Then I went off to the gym to work out.  When I got home I showered, got a little lunch, then started working on the exam.  I worked on it for a couple hours, then I took a nap.  When I woke up I worked on it for a couple more hours, then got dinner.  After dinner I finished it up.  Probably around 8:30.  Then I had no other plans.  I tried contacting 3 different people to see if they wanted to do anything tonight, but one of them already had plans and the other two were busy/didn't want to.  So yay.  I wanted to go home this weekend but I knew that I wouldn't be able to get the work done that I need to do.  But I still wanted a break tonight.  Around then Clifton came home, so I talked with him for a while.  Apparently he thinks that my font size for the exams I give out is too small.  I use 10 point font, but only because I want it to fit on 2 pages.  Oh well.   I think that I've decided to definitely give an in class final exam, but I'm going to change a few things.  We're going to have a bit of a talk during our next class about preparing for an exam and what sort of lessons have been learned from the past exams.  I'm still probably going to have to curve this exam though. But we'll see.


I just finished playing Team Fortress with Jared for a while.  He and I are a really good team on there.  Basically unstoppable. So it was fun.  But now I'm going to bed.  Tomorrow I'm going to work on stats and study for finance pretty much all day.  Woo hoo.  Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment