6.14.2011

The Montana Update: Day 10

Today “starts” at 10:15 pm when dad, Kimmy, and I started driving to Montana!  Woo!  I drove while dad slept until about 1:30, then dad drove while I slept until about 5:30.  Then I drove until we stopped for lunch at 11.  I don’t think I could have made it without the pretzels and carrot sticks.  They definitely helped me stay awake.  I’m beginning to understand now how easy it would be for truck drivers to become over-weight: they are required to meet very strict time constraints, and so they drive through the night.  But you need certain substances to help you say awake, most of which are not good for your health.  And so the cycle continues.  When we stopped the first time at 1:30, I had a pear.  After eating pretzels and carrots for three hours, that pear seriously tasted like something straight from heaven.  Oh my word… I don’t know that I’ve ever tasted something to glorious.  Dad sat up front with me for most of the trip.  I helped him work on an email he’s going to send to the athletic director and then I asked him about why he picked computer science and all of that.  We had a good talk.

We had lunch (turkey and cheddar wraps) at a rest stop at the eastern border of South Dakota.  There were a lot of bugs.  Blarg.  So we ate quickly and left.  Then we drove for a while. Kimmy sat up front with me through the entire 5 hours across South Dakota… without sleeping!  We were all really impressed.  And we counted Wall Drug signs.  There are a lot… like in the 150 miles before there were well of 50 signs.
Rest stop on the first morning.  This guy was here.

Obviously we stopped at Wall Drug… because it’s amazing.  We were going to get cowboy hats, but the sweet ones were way too expensive.  Which is silliness.  But it was still lots of fun.  We took some pictures, saw the dinosaur, and talked with some guy who used to work on computers for Wright Patterson.  So that was cool!
At Wall Drug

Kimmy with a Jackalope at Wall Drug
Um.  We had Deny’s for dinner.  It was pretty good.  And then we came back to the hotel, I took a shower, and went to bed.  At 6:30.  It was glorious.
That’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment