6.26.2011

Day 34

This morning started out pretty slowly.  I got up, browsed around Reddit for a while, and then decided to get some food.  Apparently there was supposed to be food in the dorm lobby, but I guess I got down there too late.  So I had a cup of coffee and wondered where everyone was.  After wondering for a few minutes, I went back to take a shower.  I had planned on holding off to eat until lunch, but my stomach was making lots of noises so I took a walk downtown to the deli and got a breakfast sandwich.  I then had nothing else to do so I walked around the lovely town of Oberlin.  It seems that today was the Chalk Festival or something.  Every year lots of people flood the sidewalks armed with chalk and draw magnificent artwork.  My favorite was certainly the representation of Wall-e.


When I got back I called mom to see where she was.  She and Mrs. Kilpatrick were taking a couple dancers to the competition.  While I waited Alysee called me.  She and her mom were stuck in traffic and she called to see if I could be of service (I couldn't).  Then mom and I went back to the games.


The games were fun.  We watched dancing, walked around, ate big turkey legs (well, Jesse and I did), and listened to a weapon demonstration.  It was insightful.  The guy explained the history and use of different swords and guns.  Apparently the blades were not sharpened to their full extent on purpose.  Since Scotland was mainly clan versus clan wars, the main purpose was not to kill the enemy.  The main purpose was to leave your enemy injured and force his fellow warriors (his relatives) to carry him off the battle field.  Killing a man would only take one man out of the battle.  Wounding him would take 2 or 3.  It was really funny because the longer he went, the more people left, especially families.  I thought he did a good job of not being overly gory (trying to keep things family friendly), but it was war.  There are few nice ways of talking about killing people with swords, especially when the use of each weapon had a very bloody technique.


After the games we all parted ways.  Mom and I brought the two dancers she had taken to the games back to the dorms.  When we got back I tried to meet some of the guys staying in my hall while I worked on homework.  At 7 there was a mandatory meeting that I went to.  And then pizza.  Then it was back to more homework.  Thankfully I'm done for tonight, but I have a short bit to do tomorrow.  But my hands have not been cooperating all evening and I'm tired.  So I'm going to bed.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment