6.19.2011

Day 27

Today was quite eventful.  Mom made pancakes for breakfast.  When we were done, dad and I went to Mama and Poppy's to pick up the table to take to Muncie where Jessie and Richard moved to today.  We said hi to them and Aunt Lynn and then headed to Munice.  We were really surprised that the table and all the chairs fit, but they did!   Dad drove on the way over and I read economics.  And napped.


We didn't know where we were going when we got there.  It seems that our timing was just a tad off because Jessie and Richard were going on an apartment tour just as we got into town, so they didn't know where to tell us to go (since we were going to meet them for lunch).  So Dad and I drove around for a while, Jessie told us where they were going to lunch, and we somehow managed to find it.  It was all very exciting.  We went to Qdoba.  I had never been there before, but it's basically Chipotle with more variety.  I enjoyed it.  And dad ate for free because it's Father's day weekend.


Then the moving.  It was........ yeah.  Not the most pleasant experience ever.  When we started it was raining outside, and then it stopped but remained excessively humid.  Awesome.  So we were all sweating a lot.  But we got everything moved.  When we were done, dad and I went to go visit Grandpa and Pat in Blufton.  When we got there dad and I smelled gas, so we called the gas company to come take care of it.  While we waited, we talked with grandpa and pat for a while.  Grandpa asked me lots of questions about my program in the fall.... and I didn't have many answers.  I know enough to satisfy me and that appears to not be very much.  Oh well.  I'll get the details when I need them.  After a bit dad and I got hungry so we went to Wendy's to get food.  There was a good deal of confusion with the salads we were getting for grandpa and Pat because there were only certain things that they could do with the salads and they were not necessarily the things we wanted to have done with the salads.  But they did their best and we got something figured out.


I've decided that I would love to be in a position where I could offer people jobs.  The people at Wendy's didn't really seem to want to be there.  I would love to be able to go to them and say "I have this other job that I think you would love.  May I talk with you for a moment?"   The manager looked to be about 30, overworked, and tired.  The girl who took our order appeared to be in her early to mid 20s and was trying to make the best out of working there... but clearly did not want to be there.  And I would have loved to just tell them that I had jobs for them that they would love!  But I cannot do that.


Sometimes I like to make up stories about people.  I've learned that every person is as complex as I am, and every person has a story that they want to tell but no audience to whom they can tell it.  I wish I could hear everyone's stories.  But until that day happens, I make stories up for people.  I decided that our waitress today used to be in community college but dropped out when she moved in with her boyfriend to get away from her parents.  She doesn't really like him anymore but she can't afford to live on her own and things are not good at home anymore.  So she's landed a job at Wendy's until she can make it on her own.  But she doesn't want any of this.  No, she would love to have a job taking care of people.  Maybe working at a children's hospital.  She had the most pleasant smile, even when things were not going how they were supposed to.  Children (well, everyone really) need a sincere smile when things go wrong.  So in my story she really wants to work in a children's hospital, but can't afford school until things start to go better.  I hope that life goes well for her, since I'll probably never get a chance to ask her.


We got home about 20 minutes before mom did.  When she got here we all caught up on our day.  Then we sat around and talked about the education system for a while.  Well, mom and I did.  Dad just kind of sat there and listen, giving his two cents every so often.  And then they went to bed and I've been playing Assassin's Creed until now, when it's time for bed.  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment