3.16.2013

Day 661

I started my day off early, yet again, so I could go work out with Tim H.  I opted for oatmeal this morning for breakfast, and it sat much better in my stomach than eggs.  Working out was still rough and I felt a bit ill, but it wasn't unbearable.  

After I got back from working out, I made my post-work out drink in my water bottle.  Except... I didn't notice that the lid wasn't completely closed, so when I went to shake the bottle, my drink kinda went everywhere.  I'd made a mess and it wasn't even 8:30 am.  Blech.

I was pretty tired, so I took a nap.  It felt good.  Then I showered and got ready for school.  I had a test today, so I did some studying and promptly forgot to grade or prepare a lesson for my class.  Oops.

My test went well, I think.  I'll find out eventually.  I think I knew how to do all of the problems.  As I handed my test in, Dr. Foley just looks at me and started laughing.  See, I always finish my tests early.  Generally around the 30 minute mark (most people take the entire period).  Dr. Foley is always amazed and amused that I am consistently the first person done, and usually by at least 10 minutes.  In every class (this is my fifth class with him) and on every quiz or test.  Considering that he gives either a quiz or test almost every week... that's a lot of times.  So the fact that, once again, I was the first person done made him laugh a good deal.

When I was finished with my test, I made a short lesson plan for my class.  My real goal was to just finish up some topics from the last class and go over some homework questions that I knew would be coming.  I was able to reiterate some concepts while going over the homework, so that was good.  Apparently my class had all sort of questions they wanted to ask today.  Not about math, of course, just about life.  They seem to enjoy getting to know me.  I'm assuming that's due to a) they've probably not met too many people who are passionate about math and b) they want to spend as much class time not talking about math.  One of my students asked what I was doing this weekend, so I told him about how the farmer's market is opening tomorrow.  He looked at me and said "You sound like such an adult!  Do you do anything fun?"  I just laughed and told him that I really don't.  My students all sorts of questions about Kimmy and how we met and how I proposed.  They're silly.

Then I went off to tutor.  It was fairly successful, I'd say.  We made some good progress and I got paid!  When I got home, Kimmy was still at work.  I made some dinner, then watched a short documentary on Netflix about secret societies.  It was pretty interesting.  The documentary made it seem like there are two camps of people who research secret societies: those who think that the societies have some ulterior motive and "hidden knowledge," and then there are those who just believe the societies are secret because they talk about things that could really trouble the general public.  I tend to go with the second group.  You have these super secret clubs like the Bilderberg Group that is comprised of 100 of the most influential people in the world (presidents, kings, owners of banks, etc) who gather once a year to discuss... things.  Some say this group is trying to take over the world.  I say this group (and those like it) are secretive because they need to talk about things that would cause to big of a panic if people heard about those things.  Or as the documentary put it, these people need to discuss things and not be held accountable for their ideas.  I think this last point is incredibly important: these people have to keep an insane number of things in balance in their job and sometimes and idea might seem like a good one, but after discussing it with these other intelligent people, the idea might turn out to be awful.  For instance, someone might think that dumping nuclear waste into Arizona might be a good way of getting rid of it.  But after going to the meeting, the other people would point out what an awful idea that is.  If the general public was made aware that an important official had even considered dumping waste in Arizona, most people would go crazy.  But since these important and intelligent people are given the chance to discuss their ideas first and then see what makes the most sense (without being held accountable to any ideas, i.e. no thought-crimes), more good will happen.

Anyhow, that was exciting. Kimmy came home eventually.  We talked, came up with our grocery list for the week... and now I'm going to bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment