1.30.2013

Day 618

A short little update for those who enjoy reading this silly thing.

Today was a fantastic no-class day.  These are seriously the best.  I got up, talked with Kimmy briefly before she went to work, then did some of my own work.  I spent the morning doing teaching-related things, like responding to emails and setting of my statistics page for this class.  I like to keep a decent number of statistics to help me figure out how things are going.  For instance, I compare average scores with averages that don't include 0 scores (meaning the assignment did not get turned in).  I also compare exam scores with the number of points earned from the entire chapter (70 possible points on a test, 150 for the entire chapter between other assignments and homework) and set up an easy way to see which (if any) assessments have an average score below 70%.  I also set up a sheet that lets me examine individual student progress, along with their major, year in school, highest math class, and a graph that shows how well they do in each chapter.  I used it last semester and had a lot of fun putting it together.

Kimmy came home for lunch.  She was pretty tired, but had to go back to work after lunch.  Boo.  After she left, I got started on studying.  I did my first practice exam today, but didn't time myself.  I wanted to see how well I would do without looking at notes, solutions, or time constraints.  I was pleased for a first attempt.  My big problems came back to bite me (as always): over thinking problems, misreading the questions, making silly errors.  And two of the questions were simply poorly worded... but that's about normal on an actuarial exam.  Usually two questions just are not worded well... so good luck.  I also drank a lot of hot chocolate, so that helped.

After dinner, Kimmy celebrated being home by not standing on her feet.  I celebrated by... studying.  I'm pretty excited for this whole studying thing to be over.  Or at least to be around people who are studying the same things.

When I was done studying, Kimmy and I ate cookies!  Kimmy made shortbread cookies last night and they were really good.  We've eaten most of them... but they are so tasty!


Ok.  I think that's about everything.  Have a lovely night/morning/day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment