1.11.2013

Day 600

Today has been pretty busy.  It started off somewhat early, then I pretty much got right into studying.  I have about three good hours of studying per cup of coffee, so that's how I spent the majority of my morning.  It was good. I got some other things done as well, but mostly studying.

After lunch and responding to some emails, I went up to campus with Tim B. to get some software from the math department.  This specific piece of software generally costs over $8,000 for a single license.  Thankfully, the Math Department has licenses for all of the students, so it was just a matter of talking with the guy in charge of all of the math-related technology and getting some installation discs from him... for free!  Which is way better than $8,000.  That's just silly.

I did some studying when I got back, then Kimmy and I went to dinner with some of my friends for Dustin's birthday.  Well all went to Chili's.  It was fun. I don't know how it started, but we ended up talking about county fairs for a while and how some of us find them to be pretty dull... while others found them to be pretty exciting.  Which is fine.  I just have a difficult time getting excited about... cows.  And pigs.  Don't get me wrong, I think that farming is actually very interesting and I can't even imagine how satisfying it would be to be a farmer.  But I guess they just aren't really what get me excited.  Fairs in general just aren't really my thing.  It's hot, crowded, smelly, loud, and bright.  I would much rather sit down over a cup of coffee and discuss something theoretical and academic.  That sounds pretty awesome.  Sure, I'd love to discuss how a perfectly efficient economy would run if there were no moral constraints.  Or the possibilities of space colonies.  Or the implications of probability theory if we don't restrict the set of possible outcomes to just numbers between 0 and 1.  Maybe have some good old complaining about things that don't even affect us (that's always fun).  But walking around... outside... in the sun... with sweaty people bumping into you and dropping their overly fried food everywhere?  Gross.

Anyhow.  Tim B. and I had to go to class.  We're in a class that runs from 8 - 10pm.... though our professor is going to move it back to 6 - 8.  That would be nice.  The class should be good.  Easy, but informative.  It's a class that is mainly for MBA students, so the focus is mostly how to manage a companies finances and the types of things that need to be known before getting into a line of work involving money-handling.  As I explained it to Kimmy, most of my classes teach me how to be a mechanic.  This one will explain how people drive cars.

Ok.  Time for bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment