1.03.2013

Day 592

So... it's been a while.  Here's a brief recap of most of what's been going on.

This past weekend Kimmy and I went to Findlay for a couple days.    It was fun.  We got to see mom and dad, we spent some time over at Primrose with mama and poppy, and we spent New Years with Becky, Miles, James, and some other people.  It was fun. 

We had to come back Tuesday so Kimmy could work yesterday (Wednesday).  And at some point, it seems, Kimmy got sick.  She was feeling pretty miserable today.  So instead of this being a super productive day, it was a "make sure Kimmy has medicine, tissues, liquids, and kittens" day.  I got a little studying done, but I think I'm just going to take it easy for the remaining few days of break.  This semester will probably be pretty tough.

In my original plan for a stellar "New Years" post, I thought I'd go through some things I've done/learned/experienced throughout the year.  But instead, I'm going to summarize some things into one idea: I somehow stumbled upon adulthood.

See, for the past few years I've always wondered how I would know when I was an adult.  Like, actually feeling like and thinking of myself as an adult.  In my head, it was some general "get a job, get married, buy a house" type of thing.  And those are all good (in fact, I did one of those things and it's been pretty fantastic so far), but those are just milestones along the way or perhaps even once adulthood has been attained.

In fact, I only recently stumbled upon this monumental quote that really explains things quite eloquently: "The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise."  I love this.  It brings to light two things that I have found to be central to growing up: responsibility and understanding.  And I realized that something happened... and I actually feel grown up.  Getting married helped a lot.  Moving into a house and paying all of the utilities out of our meager wages helped.  Having a garage helped.  Staying in Muncie for long-weekends helped.  All of these things helped establish Muncie as home (for now....).

So I'm learning that adulthood can be difficult.  It can be stressful, it can be hard, it can be expensive.  But it's awesome.  Kimmy and I were just discussing this earlier today, but life is pretty fantastic.  Everything is beautiful.

I don't think I actually finished a single thought in this post... but I'm tired and had to get some ideas out of my head.  So make of this what you choose.

Good night for now.

1 comment:

  1. I like this. I have no superb thoughts beyond that but it is precious.

    ReplyDelete