1.24.2013

Day 613

I had a pretty full day yesterday... that's for certain.

It started off early-ish.  I had a meeting at 9, so I got up around 7:30 to get ready, make a lunch, and pack my schoolwork.  Kimmy gave me a ride to school because it was really cold outside.

My meeting was fine.  Every other week all of the teaching Graduate Assistants and discuss how things are going, bring up any urgent issues, and then one of the GAs will bring discussion points.

After the meeting I printed off the test for my students and studied in my office.  I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "fun," but it was good.  My biggest issue with some of this material is that (because I have no experience in the investment industry or stock market) it seems highly impractical.  Basically my exam is about the types of models used for the stock market and how people protect themselves against fluctuations in stock prices.  But since I only have a fundamental understanding of the stock market, it's difficult for me why everything is necessary.  Or, more likely, I haven't quite gotten to the point where I understand why we're allowed to make some of the assumptions that are made and therefore bring in these elements of math that seem to be overkill for the questions being asked.

When my office hours were done I went to my classes, then gave my exam.  Only one student forgot that we had an exam, so that's good.  I told them that I would definitely not have the tests graded by Friday, but hopefully I'd have them graded by Monday.  I don't have a lot of work to do this weekend, so it should be doable.

Upon returning home I got back to studying.  I'd finished reading the chapter and so I just worked for the next... forever.  That's pretty much how it goes.  Read a chapter, work a million problems.  There are either too many problems or too few.

We made barbecue pulled chicken for dinner.  It went better than the last time I tried to do this, but I still don't really feel like I knew what I was doing.  I cooked the chicken first though!  It was good.

After dinner we began our new evening ritual: I study while Kimmy plays Skyrim.  That was most of the evening... until my brain was done studying.

That's about all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment