5.27.2011

Day 5

Good evening/morning/afternoon.


This morning began like most others.  I awoke at 7:45 and did my obligatory internetting (Gmail, Facebook, Reddit) and after determining that there was little for me to do at those domains, I had breakfast.  By the time I got up mom and dad had already left to go shopping, so I (being one of sound mind and little motivation) ate breakfast as I played Crysis.


I didn't work out today.  Adam and I never worked out on Fridays because he usually went home, so I don't really know what to do.  I've already exercised all of the normal muscle groups that we did.  Maybe tomorrow I'll do some leg exercises and... more abs.  I'd really like to tone my stomach a bit this summer. We'll see how that goes!


I think I played Crysis most of the morning.  When mom and dad got back, I believe that I talked with mom for a bit.  Or something... I don't precisely recall. For lunch I had hot dogs and yellow rice.  I discovered the most exquisite topping for hot dogs: relish, ketchup, and dried minced onions.  I might add something else, but the onions really added a nice touch.  A+, would eat again.  My recommendation is to not use too much relish or ketchup and have sufficient onion (since dried onion does not have the same potency as fresh onion).


After lunch Kimmy and I went to go see the grandparents.  I helped Poppy move some shelves into the garage and he and Mama told Kimmy and me about their new apartment.  It sounds really nice.  When I finally see it I'll be sure to take pictures to post.  Also Poppy discovered that he is entitled to a nicely sized veteran's pension for serving during a war.  So that will help with the cost of the apartment.


Kimmy and I then went to the UPS store to return a book I was renting over the semester.  The book rental company was really nice... they paid for return shipping so the only thing I had to purchase was the envelope.


Hm.  After errands and things... Kimmy and I made pizza for dinner!  Well.  Mom made the dough and then we finished it.  It was really tasty.  I forgot to take a picture!  :(


Yesterday at the soccer game I was reading The Last Lecture again.  In part of it the author mentions that we should have specific goals that we strive to achieve in our lives because it helps us stay proactive and determined, among other things.  And it occurred to me that I don't have many specific goals.  Part of this is due to my naturally generalized mindset (which is certainly aided by my fluency in mathematics), but I've never really sat down and concocted a list of "I must do this, that, and these other things for my life to be complete."  I live with more of a framework than a checklist.  I strive to make a positive impact on people.  In everything I do, I seek to in some way make that person (and consequently myself) better because of our interaction.  This is not a solitary item that I can mark off of a list once it is done: it is a philosophy that I apply (or try to apply) to every aspect of life.  Perhaps if I were to have one goal, it would be the apex of such a lifestyle, to one day have someone tell me that I have made such an impact on his/her life and that they would be significantly and noticeably different had I not been involved in his/her life.  That would be pretty awesome.  Perhaps if I were to have a goal... it would be that.


Anyways.  Moving on.  After dinner... parents and Kimmy and I played Boggle.  I won.  Naturally.


I don't recall any additional significant events that have occurred.  So fare thee well, kind people.


Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I don't think it is too wise to live with a specific checklist of goals to attain to in life. Generalized goals and framework to apply to all aspects of life, in my opinion, is the better way to go and can provide proactive motivation. But, at least I know for myself personally, I would feel trapped in a box and anal to complete the checklist that I wouldn't be truly able to function right. Also, once I checked it off, it would be off my mind, not to be looked at again. (Also, it would trap God in a box because one wouldn't be as open to God's plan if it differed from the specific goals.)

    Those are just my thoughts which really go along with what you said, Joel... lol

    PS--a bucket list, on the other hand, is a good way to make sure that your life is exciting and contains good stories to tell when that is all that there is left to do in life...

    ReplyDelete